Outdoor events in January + Possible increase in BK property tax
Happy New Year everyone ! I have just returned from a very relaxing week-long stay to bring you lots of local news in 2022.
First of all, the weather forecast for the day:
A little snow at times. High: 31 Low: 23. ❄️
Here are the 4 best stories today in Brooklyn Heights-DUMBO:
- You’ve probably seen the headlines all last month on the breaking all records number of Omicron cases in New York. Here are some local suggestions for stay safe outdoors locally – Carroll Gardens has its own ice rink and Governor’s Island has a Winter Village. (Brooklyn Bridge Parents)
- Brooklyn may be the only borough in the city to see an increase in property taxes for small homeowners, according to last-minute reforms proposed by De Blasio last week. The tax increase could particularly affect owners of high market value brownstones, but there is the possibility of exemptions for low or limited income owners. (Brooklyn Paper)
- Donald Elliot, city planner and longtime Brooklyn Heights resident, died last week at the age of 89. Among his accomplishments, he is known for leading the formation of community councils, establishing historic neighborhoods, and opposing Robert Moses. (Brooklyn eagle)
- Five unmasked and presumably unvaxed protesters were arrested at a Burger King in downtown Brooklyn last week, and accused of trespassing. (amNY)
today Brooklyn Heights-DUMBO Daily is brought to you in part by Newrez, one of the nation’s leading mortgage lenders. Make a smart move for your future and refinance with Newrez today. Call 844-979-1707 to get in touch with a Newrez loan officer. Newrez, LLC (NMLS # 3013)
Today in Brooklyn Heights-DUMBO:
- “Firestarters” An open mic for women + LGBTQ at the EastVille Comedy Club, 487 Atlantic Ave. (8 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- Brent Geese arrived on the East River. (Instagram)
- In a farewell email, outgoing city councilor Stephen Levin said: “To have the opportunity to serve you in the wonderful, exquisite and diverse 33rd arrondissement over the past 12 years has been the honor of a lifetime.” (MailChimp)
- Nevins Shipping and Mailing, a small Boreum Hill business, raises funds to stay open after the death of store owner Alex Hamolaila. (GoFundMe)
- Brooklyn Bridge Parents is holding information sessions for parents of children entering preschool and kindergarten next year. The first is Tuesday, January 11. (Brooklyn Bridge Parents)
More from our sponsors – thank you for supporting the local news!
- OPEN HOUSE – Work in NY, live in NJ (January 8)
- Stick to your New Years Resolutions with HSS exercise classes and workshops starting January 10! (January 10)
- Add your event
Do you like the daily Brooklyn Heights-DUMBO? Here are all the ways to get more involved:
Alright, all is well for today. I’ll catch up to you early tomorrow morning with a new update!
– Dashiell Allen